Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat pictures and the like.

Options
  • 04-06-2007 9:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭

Any chance of limiting the use of cat pictures on feedback to maybe the second or third page of a thread?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

I agree (somewhat ironically given my recent post in the "because I'm a woman thread") that some threads are being "corrupt" a little too soon, but most of the time it's usually pretty clear that the OP was in the wrong before the pictures begin.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Well you can request that code be turned off in Feedback forum. You can't ask for ppl stopping using cat pics, though.  *I can see the pics coming on strong in this thread in a few posts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Of course you can. How are they in anyway related to feedback. The images serve a purpose when a user has exhausted all other means of persuading someone who is making a complaint that they are wrong. This business of posting images all the time right off the bat isn't really on though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

Boston wrote:
    Of course you can. How are they in anyway related to feedback. The images serve a purpose when a user has exhausted all other means of persuading someone who is making a complaint that they are wrong. This business of posting images all the time right off the bat isn't really on though.

How long before this thread is immersed in feline frolicks?

7th or 8th post im betting.

cson wrote:

If it is, it just proves the point, genuine feedback being drowned out by noise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Cat pics is a fad. Something else will take over in time and the process starts over again.
    If you remove IMG code the pics will stop immediately and if a poster has a valid pic it can be linked to as usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Needless trolling does every bit as much damage as cat pics, not looking at anyone in particular.

I do agree though, that with rare exceptions, cat pics aren't funny anymore, which I reckon is the root of the OP's issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

They mainly don't come in untill the thread descends into utter crap. Although there are exceptions, they mainly appear in the "fight the poweh" threads.

j2mzeaddizz1zm3mxong.jpg

Needless trolling does every bit as much damage as cat pics, not looking at anyone in particular.

I do agree though, that with rare exceptions, cat pics aren't funny anymore, which I reckon is the root of the OP's issue.

I think some people didn't realise why they where funny in the first place, and just wanted on a band wagon. thesyco being an example. I mean whats funny about doing something utterly perdictable. This is neither a fight the power thread, nor has it decended into uttercrap, yet you posted the image anyway. One wonders why you bothered.

But it's not just the images, less of the trolling in the first page or two would be an idea as well. There used to be a happy medium but that seems gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

the_syco wrote:
    They mainly don't come in untill the thread descends into utter crap.

Actually, they are often part of the crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

cson wrote:

The 9th post it was, I was close enough.

Kinda proves Bostons point tbh.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

suckynpcb5.jpg

Dub13 wrote:
    some ****e

Great contribution

• Registered Users Posts: 20,992 ✭✭✭✭Stark

biko wrote:
    Well you can request that code be turned off in Feedback forum. You can't ask for ppl stopping using cat pics, though.

Yes you can. Stick a message in the charter saying no cat pics in the first page. Ban anyone who doesn't comply. You don't need a more technical solution than that, no need to go near the Admin control panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I have it set to 40 posts per page where most people have it at 20 per page ... would I have to wait longer?

6th wrote:
    I have it set to 40 posts per page where most people have it at 20 per page ... would I have to wait longer?

Best if you didn't post at all. Your every post is like a big animated flashing cat picture... That spins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Lets face it folks.

This forum hasn't been about feedback in a long time.

Unless by feedback we mean "Why wor I banned?", or the like. Specifically complaints about modding, valid and worthy instances of which type of complaint are few and far between.

In many cases, non complainants who post here (without a vendetta they tend to be seasoned campaigners, mods, or both) will see such spurious issues for what they are and react in a scornful manner, which is where the pussy shots come in.

Sometimes they're apt, but, more often than not it's just jumping on an already overloaded bandwagon, and serves to upset users who look on and see a group of people tearing a new arsehole on the unwitting OP.

Sometimes it's justified (if cliched) and sometimes it's not, but it is getting old.

You can't arbitrarily ban catpics though, or even say, "Not before post #41 now lads". The issue is with the culture that surrounds this forum, and unless the admins wish to create a new forum with access only to OP, and 4 silver stars or higher *with a more regimental set up* that isn't going to change.

That wouldn't work either, as all users deserve their say on such issues. The question is, is moderation and moderation feedback part of that greater ideal? I don't think it is, although it may make for entertaining reading atm.

If the moderation queries and issues were addressed seperately, perhaps in a sub forum of this one (linked from de homepage), we may see a change in culture. People would be less likely to piss all over a forum dedicated to a particular issue, and the catpics, and more importantly the trolling and sarcasm, may just abate...

I agree, there are only a hand full of threads theses days about genuine feedback/policy issues. Most are why was I banned and usually the answer to those is that its the OP's fault.

You make a point about "group of people tearing a new arsehole on the unwitting OP." I wouldn't mind as much if this was even the case, but typical its posts like those by dub13 and the_syco. They're not directed at anyone just a case of "I'm going to post crap in this thread for the shake of posting crap". Having an open forum where people are free to call up moderators and admins on issues is one of the great strenghts of boards, but this business of trying to sink threads as quickly as possible is really damaging that.

If a user is a muppet, by all means expose why, but posting random image number 5 isn't going to achieve that.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

God...... I agree with Boston. :eek:

Naaww... *shakes head*, somethings wrong here. :)

Interesting discussion, lets see where it goes.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Boston wrote:
    Best if you didn't post at all. Your every post is like a big animated flashing cat picture... That spins
    Sorry 6th, but...... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

DeVore wrote:
    God...... I agree with Boston. :eek:

Naaww... *shakes head*, somethings wrong here. :)

Interesting discussion, lets see where it goes.

DeV.

No, Boston agrees with you ;)

It's not so long ago that DeV posted a thread bemoaning the fact that too many feedback threads were being spoiled by cat/other pics/noise!1

If I recall correctly some of the SMods were first to respond with flippant quotes thus providing license to other mods and users to do the same. the thread/warning/request was viewed almost as a joke :(

There are certainly occassions where cat pics are appropriate but as Boston says on some occassions they are just noise...although I agree with RoundyMooney *cough* certain users *cough* use their trolling to derail threads in much the same way as others use cat pics. ;)

I've noticed that some of the more clever/knowledgeable users have on occassion posted in HelpDesk in the knowledge that this is a) treated with more gravity and b) not accessible to all posters!

I love the cat pics and find them funny but sometimes genuien ban queries are lost to them. There have been several threads recently where bans have been questionable (imo) and these threads are derailed with "Serious cat" and "Fight the Powah!/I are fightin U'" cat pics. These threads deserved better debate but didn't get it thanks to ridicule...or should that be caticule? :)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Oh yeah, thats right.

Boston banned for plagiarism.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

just so that everyone knows, i bought two little kittens from the local animal shelter yesterday.
    their names are frank and eric, and they are very cute.
    i will post up their pictures when i get a chance :)

oh, and i find the stupid animal pictures annoying two, and are generally used as some sort of last word without actually having to make a contribution.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Agree that the cat pictures are starting too early in a lot of threads, I think it's just that more people have discovered feedback and try and turn it into AH sometimes. Don't know how you could regulate the cat pics though, it might require limiting posting access similar to the helpdesk though I don't think that would be a good idea.

It was better when the pic's didn't come in until a resolution had been arrived upon or Dev gave a ruling

r3nu4l wrote:
    It's not so long ago that DeV posted a thread bemoaning the fact that too many feedback threads were being spoiled by cat/other pics/noise!1

Here

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

, I think it's just that more people have discovered feedback and try and turn it into AH sometimes.

funnily enough, we dont get many cat pictures in AH...

ironic, no?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I didn't mean that you did, just that feedback has an AH feel to it sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I agree. Let's go back to the owl pics.

But seriously, I do agree. Feedback threads descending into madness is one of my favourite conventions, but like monsieur Magnolia says it was better when we'd wait until DeVore had given the official word. Those crazy animal pics are so much sweeter when you've had to wade through seven or eight pages of tedious arguing to get to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

serves to upset users who look on and see a group of people tearing a new arsehole on the unwitting OP.

This is certainly the part of feedback that annoys me. The catpic posting, usually started by long term posters, is their way of dismissing the thread out of hand and declaring it closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Cats you say....?

imagesmmediumtateqv3.jpg

• Advertisement

I think people like anti, to name but one, like to jump on people and destroy threads as quickly as possible, because when they see people like wwm or other add the finishing touches to a thread with class and really show up the orginal poster as a tool, they think "Man if I post a bigger picture thats even more moronic then the last, as early as possible, people are going to think I'm cool, and maybe someday I'll be the new funny man of boards".

stovelid wrote:
    This is certainly the part of feedback that annoys me. The catpic posting, usually started by long term posters, is their way of dismissing the thread out of hand and declaring it closed.

Well the truely old school user will use a picture or a witty comment as a final kick in the teeth. It will be related to the user and/ or issue at hand. However you get some regular users, like anti there, who are terminally un-funny and fail to realise that if something wasn't funny the first two times, it's not funny now. I mean whats the user expecting "Lol wowzer didn't see that one coming".

Advertisement